Recent Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Taco Seasoning

Tacos or Taco Salad is on our menu at least 3-4 times a month. We love Mexican style food, it's the best. I have always bought my own taco seasoning at the store in individual packets or a big bulk size bottle at Sam's club. We have some family members that are gluten-free eaters, and since store bought taco seasoning has gluten, we started searching for a homemade mixture that would work the same. Since trying this homemade seasoning, we have outlawed buying taco seasoning. Yes, it's that good! And I feel better about using it too because it doesn't have meaningless ingredients such as: dextrose, maltodextrin, disodium inosinate, and silicon dioxide. I prefer a food label that lists ingredients that sound like good wholesome food. And one last thing, you can make it for cheap!

This recipe makes about 8 tablespoons of taco seasoning. You use about 2 1/2 tablespoons to season 1 pound of cooked ground beef for taco's or taco salad.




Taco Seasoning

Ingredients:

2 Tbsp. Chili Powder
5 tsp. Paprika
4 ½ tsp. Ground Cumin
1 heaping Tbsp. Dried Onion
1 Tbsp. Salt
2 ½ tsp. Garlic Powder
⅛ tsp. Cayenne

Directions:

Combine above ingredients and store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Use approximately 2 ½ tablespoon of the seasoning mix for each 1 pound of cooked ground beef/chicken.

Recipe Source:

Adapted from allrecipes.com by Sue Gronholz

3 comments:

  1. yum! My costco taco seasoning is almost gone...maybe I'll have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I decided to make this seasoning tonight and used your taco recipe. I made it in the crockpot because we were gone for the afternoon. I'm officially never using packet taco seasoning again! This was SO wonderful! The packet seasoning is too much for me while I'm pregnant, I don't know if it's the sodium or what but your seasoning was just yummy and gentle on my stomach. I'm excited to try the fajita seasoning next month!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, I'm glad you like it. I posted this back at the beginning of 2011 and we still are making this. We love it too. I'm glad you found something you can use while pregnant! I hope you enjoy the fajita seasoning too. Xo

      Delete