Recent Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Fresh Salsa

I LOVE fresh salsa. It's sooooooooooooo good for you (besides the fact that you usually eat it with chips) and it's pretty addicting. I like it with a bit of a kick and once I start I just can't stop. I think the spicy factor is what keeps me at it. This recipe is great, you can make it as mild or hot as you like. My uncle Bruce is the creator of this recipe, and he taught us how to section a lime for making it! The lime is brilliant in this! Hope you love it as much as I do.


Fresh Salsa
Bruce & Jen B.

8-10 Roma tomatoes
1 onion (we use 1/2 red and 1/2 medium yellow) OR 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
1 whole lime, peeled and sectioned
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch of cilantro (leaves only)
1 jalapeno (with no seeds, 1/2 the seeds, or all seeds, depending on how spicy you want it)
Salt to taste
Fresh ground pepper to taste

Wash all ingredients and remove any stems or bad spots. Cut tomatoes in quarters, set aside. Cut onion into small sections, set aside. Add half tomatoes to food processor and pulse til they are as chunky as you like them in salsa, and pour into mixing bowl. Next pulse onion til it's finely chopped and pour into the same bowl. Then with the last half of tomatoes I like to pulse them til they are pretty thin and add everything else, puree it pretty good. You can do this as pureed or chunky as you like. When everything is done being processed in the food processor mix it together in the mixing bowl and add salt and pepper til it reaches your liking.

Notes:
In case you have never sectioned a lime....here is how it goes. With a sharp knife cut the peel (including the white layer under the peel off). You'll have a nice juicy looking lime, then cut on both sides of each lime section until they can fall out. You'll be left with the outsides of each section, I like to squeeze any extra juice out of that as I can, and discard the rest.

Also, this is best served the day you make it. Onions have a tendency to be more potent the next day. Use within 2 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment