Recent Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Whole Wheat Pancakes

Growing up in my mother's house we had hot breakfast pretty frequently. Call me spoiled? Yes, I think I was and I want to do the same to my kids when they are old enough to feed more than just milk. I am a firm believer in eating a healthy breakfast to start off your day.

My mother-in-law told us a story once that illustrates why it's important to eat a good breakfast. I hope I have all the details right. Her friend was in charge of a scout group and they went for a hike one day. Some of them charged right up the mountain and others were just too tired and weak to keep up the pace. She asked a few of them what they had for breakfast. I forget what the one who ate healthy had exactly. All I remember was that he had some protein and carbs and was full of vigor as he hiked. While one particular boy who was struggling had had a doughnut for breakfast - carbs and sugar. I just want to pat parents on the back when they send their kids off to school or activities with a healthy start in their little tummies.

Enough of my rambling.

This pancake recipe is something that we make pretty often around our house. It is also pretty much the same as the one my mom made, I just always use whole wheat flour and have added a little baking soda to make them fluffier.

Hope you enjoy a healthy start to your morning!

Whole Wheat Pancakes
from Mom
Makes 4-6 medium size pancakes - serves 2-3

1 cup whole wheat flour (I use fresh ground whole white wheat)
1 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
2 Tbsp oil
3/4 cup milk (you can add a little extra if you like thinner pancakes)

Combine all the dry ingredient in spouted bowl, mix well. Add oil, egg, and milk and whisk together until smooth. Cook on a greased griddle on medium-low to medium heat. Flip when bubbles start to appear but haven't popped yet.

Serve with butter, syrup, jam, peanut butter or anything else you like on pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment