Recent Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Sourdough Start {starting your own}

I have a few recipes that I'll be posting shortly that call for sourdough starter. They are so yummy, I hope you'll make you a start and be prepared to try some yummy goodness over the next few weeks.

The sourdough starter I have is well over 50 years old. My mom got it from a lady in our neighborhood, she got it on her LDS mission to Alaska. As long as you keep using it and feeding it, it will last a really long time. My mom has had her same start for over 16 years. I've had mine (part of hers) for about 3 years.

My start is getting pretty big, so if I have any takers that want to come and get some. I'd be happy to share it. Since I can't share my start with everyone, I found this great recipe for starting your own from King Arthur Flour, I will post it below. It's pretty simple. And all you do when you use it is feed it some water, flour and then stir it until it's smooth. It's not complicated at all - so don't be scared!

Sourdough Starter {starting your own}
King Arthur Flour

2 cups warm water
1 Tbsp sugar or honey (optional) (don't use honey if you will be feeding to infants under 1)
1 Tbsp or packet active dry yeast
2 cups All-Purpose Flour

Pour the water into a 3- to 4-quart glass or ceramic container or bowl, and add dissolve the sugar or honey and the yeast in that order. Stir in the flour gradually. Cover the jar or bowl with a clean dishcloth and place it somewhere warm. By using a dishcloth instead of plastic wrap, you'll allow any wild yeast in the area to infiltrate and begin to work with the domestic yeast which itself is beginning to develop "wild" characteristics and flavors.

The mixture will begin to bubble and brew almost immediately. Let it work anywhere from 2 to 5 days, stirring it about once a day as it will separate. When the bubbling has subsided and a yeasty, sour aroma has developed, stir your starter once more and refrigerate it until you are ready to use it. The starter should have the consistency of pancake batter.

Notes:

-If you've ever had a start of Amish Friendship bread, this is really similar, so don't be scared to try it.

-The things we make the most with our start is waffles.

-The starter does thin out after it starts producing it's own alcohol. Mine is about the consistency of heavy cream.

-Most recipes call for about 1 cup of starter. After you've taken the cup of starter from your jar, you'll add 1/2-1 cup of water (start with 1/2 cups, you just want it the consistency of a thick pancake batter) and 1 cup of all-purpose flour to feed it. You'll stir it together with a wire whisk until smooth let it sit on out for and refrigerate. You should use the starter every few weeks. It does separate in the fridge and can turn a dark grey on the top - that is my cue that I need to use it soon. I know that if it ever turns pink/red, I need to throw it out and start a new one (which hasn't happened to me yet).

1 comment:

  1. SWEET, I left our start in Utah :( and i didn't know how to make a start!! THANK YOU!!! So excited to see the recipes to come with this because all i know is how to make pancakes with this.

    ReplyDelete