Recent Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Beef & Cheese Wedges

Do any of you like the movie 'Elf'? I think it's pretty hilarious. I watch it every Christmas season. There are too many funny parts. I really love when Buddy tries to put the star on the tree and he jumps off the couch and leaps for the tree. It's really fun to watch that in slow- motion. But one line in this movie that I especially love is when Buddy is at the mall preparing for Santa to arrive. When he sees that Santa is not really Santa, he says, something like ....."You don't smell like Santa, you smell like beef and cheese." When I make these yummy beef and cheese wedges I always think of that line! Although you may not want to smell like beef and cheese, you'll love the taste of it. That is a promise!

This recipe comes from my mother-in-law. When Steven and I got married, I asked my mother-in-law for all the recipes she made that Steven loves. This is one of them, and now after making it several times since we've been married I know why he loves it!

It comes together pretty quick. I've learned a few helpful tips that I'll share in the recipe (below) that have sped up the process of putting it together. The flavors are mouthwatering, it has the perfect seasonings, a yummy, fluffy biscuit-like crust, and topped with cottage cheese and cheddar cheese, it's just simply, 'to die for'. Hope you'll enjoy!

Beef & Cheese Wedges

Printable Version

Crust:
1 egg yolk, beaten (you'll use the white in the topping)
1 cup biscuit mix (I make my own, see below for recipe, or you can use Bisquick, Jiffy or other baking mix)
3 tablespoons milk

Meat Filling:
1-1.5 pounds ground beef (extra lean)
1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon pepper, fresh ground
1 clove garlic, minced

Topping:
1 egg + 1 egg white (should have one that you didn't use in the crust), beaten
2 cups cottage cheese (1 16-oz package)
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

Stir together egg yolk, biscuit mix, and milk. Form into a pie crust about 1/8 inch thick, and place into a 9 inch pie dish. The easiest way to make this into a crust is to grease with spray grease two sheets of plastic wrap. Place the ball of dough onto one of the greased sides of plastic wrap and place the other sheet greased side down, on top of the dough. Press it into a circle and with a rolling pin, roll it into a big circle, big enough to place in your pie dish.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a skillet over medium-low heat cook beef, along with onion, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic. Cook until beef is browned and fully cooked. If there is an excess amount of grease drain in colander. When meat is cooked and drained pour it into the pie crust.

In a small bowl coming egg/egg white and cottage cheese, mix well. Pour this mixture over the meat mixture.

Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, top with shredded cheddar cheese and bake 10 minutes. Let set for 10-15 minutes before serving. Cut into wedges and serve.

Recipe Source: Maureen G.

Homemade Biscuit Mix: (adapted from Better Homes and Garden Biscuit Recipe)

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar

1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

Mix together and store in airtight container. I also use this same biscuit mix in my recipe for 'Crustless Blender Quiche'.

1 comment:

  1. I have never seen or heard of anything like this. It sounds really intriguing. I'm going to give it a try. Not only are you a good cook, it sounds like your mom and mother-in-law are really good cooks, too. Lucky Steven!

    ReplyDelete