Recent Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Butter Chicken

This meal makes a regular appearance at our table. When I plan my menus and ask my hubby, Jeff, what he wants to eat, this is often one of his requests. This is an Indian dish, but don't let that scare you because to me the thought of Indian food is a little scary. I've never eaten at an Indian restaurant and I wouldn't normally try something like this. It was first introduced to me by my fabulous mother-in-law and we have made it many times since. Now I just need to learn how to make Naan bread so we can have an authentic side dish to go with this meal.

Lu took the photo for me. I always forget to take pictures of my food before I snarf it! :)

Butter Chicken
 
2 pounds chicken breasts (cut into bite-sized pieces)
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoons black pepper
½ teaspoons cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoons ground coriander
¼ teaspoons cumin
¼ teaspoons cardamom (I omitted this because it was too pricey for my pockets!)
1 lime, juiced
1 onion, diced
¼ cups butter
1 can (14.5 Oz. Can) tomato sauce
1 can (14.5 Oz. Can) petite diced tomatoes
1 pint Whipping Cream (half and half works great too!)
1/2 bunch chopped cilantro, to taste
2 cups Basmati rice (it’s great with Jasmine rice too)
Combine first 9 ingredients and marinate in the refrigerator overnight (or at least for most of the day).
Saute the onion in the butter until soft. Add marinated chicken and cook about 10 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 30 minutes. While chicken is simmering, cook rice according to package directions. Remove chicken from heat. Stir in the whipping cream and cilantro. Serve over hot rice.
Recipe Source: Tasty Kitchen via Karen R.

3 comments:

  1. I love Indian food and if you make Naan let me know how that tuns out :) Stopping by from the Friday Follow and I'm your latest GFC follower. Hope you can stop by my place and return the favor soon. http://www.shaunanosler.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU so much for sharing your recipe with me at Cast Party Wednesday. I'd like to invite you back this week.
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog are Awesome.. I love foods.. they are so tasty and delicious…!
    Chowringhee

    ReplyDelete