Recent Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, May 4, 2012

Mango, Corn, and Black Bean Salsa

With Cinco de Mayo approaching, mangoes are on sale here this week and I can't get enough.  Do I really know much about Cinco de Mayo? No.  But for me, as every holiday is, it is an excuse to have a party and eat yummy food! So to make myself feel a little less guilty for the pigging out that I'm sure I'll do on Saturday, I did a little research.  So, in case you are wondering too, here is a little tidbit on Cinco de Mayo: It is often confused with Mexican Independence day, which is the 16th of September.  Rather, Cinco de Mayo is the anniversary of the Battle of the Puebla, which was fought between the French and the Mexicans in 1862.  The Mexicans were definitely the underdog in the situation.  Their forces were dramatically outnumbered, but they managed to come out on top after only a 4-hour battle.  So there you have it.  The underdogs won and that right there is reason enough for me to celebrate!  

Back to the food...

Mangoes have always been one of my most favorite fruits.  I was trying to think of something to go with some enchiladas that I made and I thought this would be perfect.  And it was.  It totally hit the spot.  I love the freshness, the sweetness, and the color that this salsa added to our meal.  I sometimes struggle with what to serve as a side when we eat Mexican food.  Yesterday we served it with chips, but it also makes a fabulous Latin-style side dish.  Forget the authenticity of rice and beans, this is superb just served as a salad--and easily tossed with a little brown rice or quinoa.  Too bad there were no leftovers...      





 
Mango, Corn, and Black Bean Salsa/Salad
Printable Version


Ingredients: 


2-3 roma tomatoes, diced
1 large mango, peeled and diced
1 cup frozen sweet corn, rinsed
1-15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 green onions, sliced
2 tablespoons lime juice
¼ cup chopped cilantro
½ teaspoon garlic salt
½ teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper


Directions:


Combine all ingredients in bowl.  Refrigerate salsa for at least 3 hours before devouring.   

No comments:

Post a Comment