Recent Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, December 28, 2012

Mashmallow Whipped Cream & Peppermint Whipped Cream {the key to a great hot cocoa}



I came upon these two recipes (1. Marshmallow Whipped Cream & 2. Peppermint Whipped Cream) about a month and a half ago, and I've made them too many times to count. Seriously, I think I have a problem. I spied them as I was out to have some family over for a hot cocoa bar.  I like hot cocoa. But I L.O.V.E. hot cocoa with these two whipped creams. Hot cocoa will never be the same, so beware! The Marshmallow Whipped Cream is soft and fluffy with the perfect hint of vanilla, which, if you ask me, it makes the whipped cream.  The peppermint whipped cream is perfectly sweetened with blended candy canes (making peppermint powder). This can be prepared two ways. You can fold the peppermint into the cream and let it sit in the fridge and the it dissloves in the cream, leaving you a lightly pink and smooth peppermint flavored whipped cream. Or you can fold the peppermint in right before serving and you can little bits of crunchy peppermint. The last way is the way I like it.  Honestly if I had to choose just one whipped cream to make I'd make the marshmallow whipped cream. But I really like them side by side (as pictured above), they compliment each other so well.

Just as a side note, I did try to combine the two recipes for a Marshmallow-Peppermint whipped cream, and it worked, but I didn't really like it as much. It was too sweet, the marshmallows, powdered sugar, and candy cane was just too much sweetener.  So I've been sticking to making them separate, or just the marshmallow version. Yum! Enjoy some hot cocoa!


Marshmallow Whipped Cream & Peppermint Whipped Cream {2 Recipes}
Printable Version

Marshmallow Whipped Cream
Ingredients:
1 cup of whipping cream (I have an easier time whipped cream that isn’t ultra-pasteurized)
1-2 tablespoons powdered sugar (I always use 2)
a splash of vanilla
1-2 cups small marshmallows (I use 1 1/2 cups)

Directions:
In a bowl, whip cream and powdered sugar until firm stiff. Stir in a splash of vanilla. Fold in marshmallows.  Use immediately to top cups of hot cocoa.  Or place in the fridge for a few hours and the marshmallows will puff up and soften.  I like to let it set for an hour or two in the fridge otherwise you might as well just use marshmallows in your cocoa and have cream on top.  The soft marshmallows add the perfect touch to this light and fluffy whipped cream.

Peppermint Whipped Cream
Ingredients:
3 (regular sized) red and white peppermint candy canes
1 cup of whipping cream (I have better luck with whipping cream that's not ultra-pasteurized)

Directions:
Unwrap your candy canes and place them in a blender or food processor. Process until the candy canes until they are a fairly fine powder. (Mine usually turn into powder instantly...it works great)

In another bowl, whip cream until firm. Fold in the candy cane powder in the cream, the candy canes give it enough sweetness, so there is no need to add sugar. Use immediately to top you cocoa if you like little pieces of crunchy candy cane in it (my favorite way). Or place in the refrigerator for a few hours and allow the candy canes to completely dissolve. It’s great both ways! 


 I love the candy cane dust...it smells good. 
But don't breath it in. It can't be good for your lungs or nasal passage! :)



1 comment: