Recent Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, October 7, 2011

Taco Soup

It is feeling more and more like fall each day this week. We even had snow on the foothills and mountain tops yesterday. Is it that way for everyone else? I am feeling a big soup fetish coming over me as the temperature cools and I try to stay warm.

This taco soup is one of our favorites (as with all the other recipes I post on this blog). We have this soup throughout the year, but I especially love a hot soup on a cold day, like today.


This recipe calls for all sorts of ingredients that I always have on hand (ground beef, onion, broth, canned tomatoes, beans, corn, tomato soup, salsa, and taco seasoning), so I can whip it up just about any old day, without making a run to the store. I also season it with my very own homemade taco seasoning, which gives is an extra warm touch.

This soup is great topped with your favorite taco toppings, such as: sliced olives, green onions, sour cream, grated cheddar, cilantro, and tortilla chips.

Enjoy!

Taco Soup
Printable Version
Serves about 10

2 pounds lean ground beef
1 (medium to large size) yellow onion, diced
2 (10 ounce) cans chicken or beef broth
2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
1 cup salsa (your favorite kind)
1 small can of tomato soup
1 cup frozen corn
1-2 (27 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed (depends on how much bean you like)
½ to 1 package of taco seasoning, to taste (or 2-4 tablespoons of this taco seasoning)

Toppings:
Sliced olives
Sliced green onion
Cilantro
Grated cheddar cheese
Sour cream
Tortilla chips

In large stock pot add diced onion and ground beef. Brown ground beef until juices run clear and it it thoroughly cooked throughout, onions should be clear and cooked through. Add broth, diced tomatoes, salsa, corn, beans, and taco seasoning and simmer for 15-20 minutes until hot. Simmering allows the flavors to intensify.

Note: I usually half this recipe except for the beans, I just use one can. This usually will feed my and my husband for dinner and give us about 3 lunch size helpings leftover. We also like to serve this with cornbread.

Recipe Source: Rosella B.

No comments:

Post a Comment